Mediagraphy - Discography - Trackography - Videography - Gigography - Biography - Chronology

08 July 2010

Ray Charles Live in Boston (1978)

There's a poorly described bootleg floating around on the Web with a taping of a concert at the Symphony Hall in Boston, on 23 September 1978. The bootlegger claimed that he couldn't find back the first cassette tape of the concert: "I've been looking for it for about 20 years and still haven't completely given it up for gone". This is what remains of the concert (with obvious corrections):
  1. Georgia On My Mind
  2. Oh, What A Beautiful Morning
  3. Am I Blue (Johnny Coles - tp)
  4. Feel So Bad
  5. A Little More Love (ft Estella Yarbrough)
  6. All I Need (ft Trudy Cohran)
  7. Don't Change On Me
  8. I Can't Stop Loving You
  9. I Can See Clearly Now
  10. The Jealous Kind (with The Raelettes)
  11. Big Legged Woman
  12. What'd I Say
  13. Outro
In the comment below, Ray Charles-connoisseur J.P. Verger explains that the concert, despite its mediocre sound quality, is a great time document because it captured the interactions between Ray and the American audience so well, and because he was in one of his better "comedian" moods in this show. The funniest part is a lengthy (and as far as I know unique) intro to #8, I Can't Stop Loving You, where Ray and the girls play a call & response game with the phrase "Will you?". #10, The Jealous Kind, was an incredibly stretched, slurred version of the song, in an excellent interaction with The Raelettes. #11, Big Legged Woman (infrequently played by Ray as a prelude to What'd I Say, but rarely recorded) was a special treat.

1 comment :

  1. Ce concert dont la qualite sonore est tres mediocre reste toutefois un excellent document montrant l'ambiance d'un concert de Ray Charles aux Etats Unies avec les interactions avec le public ,l'humour et les diverses improvisations introductives de certains morceaux.A noter avant What D I Say le "Big Leg Woman" qu'il interprete de façon tres humoristique.

    ReplyDelete