Mediagraphy - Discography - Trackography - Videography - Gigography - Biography - Chronology

02 September 2012

Ray Charles Live At Caneção In Rio (1990)

On 30 November 1990 the Ray Charles group flew in (with a delay, and problems with escalators and elevators at the airport and at his hotel, that made headlines in the local press) from Santiago de Chile to Rio de Janeiro. That same or the next night he gave a concert at the famous show venue Caneçao in Rio. The show was taped for TV (directed by Wagner Vieira), and an edited version was broadcast on December 16th by Rede Manchete.

Ray, the band, and the girls were in good shape, but the concert didn't entail any surprises. The show's credits listed the tunes that were played (with quite some mistakes that I've corrected below).
  1. Intro
  2. Riding Thumb
  3. Busted
  4. Georgia On My Mind
  5. Oh, What A Beautiful Morning
  6. Just For A Thrill (trumpet solo by Jeff Kaye)
  7. Teardrops From My Eyes
  8. Giving Up (ft Trudy Cohran)
  9. Smack Dab In The Middle
  10. I Can't Stop Loving You
  11. Lay Around And Love On You (All I Wanna Do Is --)
  12. Outro
Still from the TV program.
Obviously, What'd I Say was (and maybe more tunes were) omitted from the TV program.

Personnel
Ray's band members and the girls were credited in the TV program, be it with some omissions and mistakes - corrected here:

Musicians: Chuck Parrish, ?Ted Murdock?, Kenny Rampton, Jeff Kaye - trumpets; Steve Sigmund, Mike Guerrier, Marc Fields, Wayne Coniglio - trombones; Al Jackson, Craig Bailey - alto saxophones; Rudy Johnson, Al Waters - tenor saxophones;  ?Scott Frillman? - baritone saxophone; David Rokeach - drums; Kenny Carr - guitar; Benoît Grey - bass; Ernest Vantrease - piano. The Raelettes: Kay Nickerson, Trudy Cohran, Angela Workman, Estella Yarbough.

2 comments :

  1. I was about 25 years old when I watched that TV show. Luckily I owned a tape recorder k7 around and could record 4 songs: "Giving Up", "Smack Dab In The Middle" and "I Can't Stop Loving You". Interestingly, between "Smack Dab In The Middle" and "I Can't Stop Loving You" there is another song that I can not see in the list of this page. Anyway, all of them are the best versions I've heard these songs. Obviously, I still have that tape and whenever I hear it. A big hug to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an intro (often played) to I Can't Stop Loving You.

    ReplyDelete