Mediagraphy - Discography - Trackography - Videography - Gigography - Biography - Chronology

31 October 2014

Let's Get Back To Where We Left Off (With Peggy Scott-Adams)

Album: Would You Believe? Warner Bros 26343, October 1990.

Recorded at RPM International in Los Angeles. Musicians remained uncredited; Rich Cason produced the synthesizer parts.

In an interview, Peggy later stated:
“One of the highlights of my career was being able to work with Ray. He and Jimmy [Lewis] had been friends and worked together over the years. They were looking for material for Ray’s upcoming album, which Jimmy was co-producing with him. When I first came to California and met Jimmy back in 1985, I demoed some songs, and then Ray played this song Let’s Get Back to Where We Left Off. Ray wanted to know who it was. They called me from Hawaii and told that Ray had a commitment to do a duet with jazz singer Diane Schuur.* He wanted to know if I would be willing to come in and do a guide vocal for her. I did the vocals for the track, and when I got home from the studio I had a message on my answering machine. It was Ray. He just couldn’t stop listening to the track that we had just laid down and he had made up his mind that it would be Ray Charles and Peggy Scott.
He was a beautiful human being, funny to the bone... so hilarious. After that song [...], which did good to him, he called me to do a second song (If You Give Me Your Heart), which was on his subsequent album.
I was not a big Ray Charles fan. I loved the genius of his work, but he was not one of my favourite singers. But the fact that he thought enough of my talent to bring in little ole me, when he was surrounded by other superstars... then I became a real big fan after that [laughing]".
* If the duet with Schuur happened, it unfortunately wasn't recorded.



No comments :

Post a Comment